Thursday, February 9, 2017

Step #5

Act.

Acting in this political/internet climate has NEVER been easier. Like Michael Moore said, "Wake up, brush teeth, make coffee, call Congress." Hopefully in Step #4 you journalled a little bit to help gather your resources- phone numbers, email addresses, and locations you feel connected to. And then you pull the trigger. Inhale and dial the phone (5/7 times you'll get either a busy signal or an answering machine). Print out your letters and throw them in the mailbox. Figure out which train gets you to which rally on which day. And then get in the car (or have your bff drive you to keep you accountable) and go.

Start that website that connects people to resources.

Make a date and invite people to that cool thing you want to plan.

Start checking things off the list.

And then, after lunch (haha!), take a nap. Because this is overwhelming. You'll definitely need to go back to Step #1 (self care) during and after this step. Because being around a crowd of people can be draining. And watching your calls and letters seemingly fall on deaf ears can be demoralizing. So Act, but then step back and rest, so you can Act again tomorrow (or, you know, next Tuesday).

This is exhausting. But I keep picturing the #resistance as waves that keep battering the shore. Or like shark teeth- more rows are waiting in line to take the place of people who've gotten tired and need a minute to rest. So maybe you weren't Wave 1, or even Wave 2. But when it's your time, you'll be ready. Be well friends. Keep stepping up where you are.

1 comment:

Annie Crow said...

I love the shark tooth analogy.

I think all your suggestions in this series have been brilliant, and I'm grateful that you're writing them down!

I, myself, keep coming back to what I wrote down right after the election and then use that as my touchstone. Though after the inauguration I've had to lean in more, so, phone calls. Gah. Though I've been helped in that by advice friends have posted (name/zip/brief opinion rather than a speech or script/no response needed), plus focusing on my representatives.