Monday, October 29, 2007

"We Shall Take Rome!"


Playoff football. Foot. Ball. People.

That one doesn't really work. BUT I got to attend my first high school playoff game (of my life) on Saturday afternoon. These people really take their football seriously. I went to a pre-game party where the moms were all painting their faces, and the brats-on-sticks were just like home. There's a 4' football in the front yard of one house, all the players' names lining the highway going West out of town for about 5 miles, and LOTS of maroon and gold.

Check out this photo to see how seriously we take our cheering here. The band wasn't playing, but there was a DJ downfield blasting music during time outs and between quarters. I yelled so loud I lost my voice for a while.

It was a really close game- unless you were watching the score. The turning point was in the 3rd quarter when a 10 yard kick was downed by our own team, which let us score twice in that quarter. When the kids jumped on the short kick we all looked around at each other and yelled, "Can we DO that?!". We can, and we did.

The game ended with Baker on the winning side of a 29-26 breathtaker. It wasn't until the last 2 minutes of the game did anyone guess who the winner would be. I'm not THAT into football, but this game was awesome.

Next week we play at home again - the party promises to be even bigger!

No comments: