Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Sidney vs Sydney

We're in Sidney, Montana for the rest of the week. While researching things to do, places to visit, fun facts, etc. I came across this interesting news story from December, 2006:

Typo sends German to Sidney, Montana instead of Sydney, Australia

A German bought a plane ticket to visit his girlfriend in Sydney Australia, but due to a typo, ended up buying a ticket to frigid Sidney, Montana, 13,000 kilometers away. He landed in Portland, Oregon, where he changed planes and arrived in Billings, Montana. At this point he realized his error, he was about to board a commuter flight to Sidney — an oil town of about 5,000 people. He spent three days freezing his nuts off in the airport waiting for his parents to wire him the dough for a ticket to Australia.

Dressed for the Australian summer in T-shirt and shorts, Tobi Gutt left Germany on Saturday for a four-week holiday.
Instead of arriving "down under", Gutt found himself on a different continent and bound for the chilly state of Montana.

"I did wonder but I didn't want to say anything," Gutt told the Bild newspaper. "I thought to myself, you can fly to Australia via the United States."

As his mother told Reuters: “I didn’t notice the mistake as my son is usually good with computers.”

No comments: