Friday, September 18, 2009

Overheard: On the Phone


Him: Hey Dad! Yeah, Anna's still on bed rest.

Father-in-Law (mine, not his): Well, tell her to lay down and put her feet up.

Him: I did.

Father-in-Law: But that's what caused the problem in the first place!


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So, yeah. I'm still on bed rest, although I can take a 10 minute walk every day. Against medical advice we travelled to Red Lodge, Montana so Stephan could attend a Rural Trauma Hospital Conference. I've stayed very still in the hotel room for the last 2 days and successfully avoided most of the regular contractions. Fortunately there's an amazing view outside the hotel window. The sad part is that I can't go out and walk around this adorable little town nestled in the Bear Tooth Mountains. I only have one more week of strict bed rest- I need to get to 34 weeks pregnant before the baby will be healthy enough to be born.

But I'm also convinced that I WILL NOT be birthing this baby in Red Lodge, Montana (like my doctor predicted if I dared go against her advice). So, I sit. It's great to have TV with channels to change and commercials to scoff at, but it's hard to not be able to distract myself with little chores like re-filing pay stubs, wiping down the kitchen cabinets, and folding laundry. Good for body and baby, bad for my overactive brain.

Oh, and why would it be a problem to deliver a baby in Red Lodge? Well, for one, we are a 4 hour drive away from the hospital and our house, plus, we are about 2 hours away from the regional NICU. Yeah... we have regional NICU's, they're not in every hospital.

No comments: