Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pregnancy FAQ's

Q: Have you had the baby yet?
A: No.

Q: Aren't you ready to have the baby?
A: Sure, but I'd rather wait until it was ready.

Q: Are you sure you don't know if it's a boy or a girl?
A: Yes. We're sure.

Q: Do you know and you're just not telling us:
A: No. I'm a terrible liar. If I knew, you'd know.

Q: Why don't you want to know?
A: Because it's more fun this way & it's making my mom nuts: A bonus.

Q: Are you still on bedrest?
A: No. I've been able to do whatever I want for 2 weeks now.

Q: Are you back to work?
A: Nope. My arms don't reach the table.

Q: So what do you do all day?
A: Mostly resting, with some walking, lots of cooking and freezing meals, cleaning the house, some packing, and lots of organizing. I also spend quite a bit of time in a rocking chair humming lullaby's and crocheting booties (that's a total lie).

Q: Is the baby's room ready?
A: That depends on what you define as the baby's room. I've heard rumors that the Chicago baby's room is coming along nicely, but here in Plevna we've done our best to adapt the house to the newcomer.


Here you can see where the baby will sleep. It's a bassinet that we inherited from my family. It's on wheels = fun! I've covered it with bug screen secured with elastic to keep the scary spiders and curious cats out of it. There are decorative layers of lace and satin, but they don't work with the bug screen. The bassinet lives about 18" to the right of our bed, squeezed between a bedside table and my dresser. Perfect!!


The rest of the baby stuff lives in the space adjoining the kitchen and living room. Starting from the left we have a rolling caddy from WalMart with all the clothes, diapers, and blankets I could cram into it. The silver trash can serves as a diaper pail (for the washables- there's a cloth liner in it). On the table that formerly held up our grill is a tub with diapering supplies and a basket with the trifold cloth diapers, washable wipes, and diaper covers. A large snowsuit covers the basket for now because the cats keep trying to sleep on the diapers. On the far right is the dog crate, covered with plywood and a blanket that we're calling a changing table. I've kept the plastic cover on the changing pad because it's the #1 favorite place for cats to sleep right now. Actually, there's a cat sleeping on it in this photo- he's even adjusted it to the correct postural angle for him. Cleaver fellow.

No comments: