Saturday, December 3, 2011

Go Runner Go!

The 1/2 marathon was AMAZING!! Ok, I mean, I was awesome IN the 1/2 marathon. It was 45 degrees and raining. I mean, RAINING. I was crazy- roller-coaster-ride- nervous about it. Even just standing in the corral. Ok, there wasn't really a corral. We were all just standing in a parking lot in a big group. The people who wanted to stand in front stood in front. I tried to stand as far back as I could. I saw a 2:20 pacer [a person with a sign on a stick who was trained to run the race in exactly 2 hours and 20 minutes). I estimated I would finish in about 2 hours and 45 minutes, so I tried to stand approximately that much further behind the pacer.

I started very slowly. VERY slowly. I hadn't trained, so I wanted to conserve my energy.
1 mile: Doing ok. Cold.
2 mile: Still ok.
3 mile: Starting to rain!
4 mile: Some chick passed me. She was walking.
5 mile: Ok. Only 8 more to go. One foot at a time.
6 mile: Hey, look, Elk! Seriously. I bet they make heat.
7 mile: Huh. Ok. 6 to go. More than half way!
8 mile: Dude! Only 5 to go!!! I can't feel my hands.
9 mile: We need to pick up this pace! This is fun!
10 mile: Look! Stephan!! It's pouring rain! He says, "I'm cold. Finish faster!"
11 mile: Smiling. Waving at people. This is awesome.
12 mile: One more! Running as fast as I have all day!!
13 mile: Look! Stephan!! Finish line!! Hi dad!
13.1 mile: 2 hours 44 minutes.

Rock. The. Eff. On.

No comments: