Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Relentless

I put my running clothes on this afternoon and laid on my bed. It was a weird feeling because both things felt good. The soft bed felt good, the tech material felt good, the double layer socks felt great. I perused Nike+ to see how many miles I was running this time last year. It was a LOT more than I've done so far. Which is fine.

I've been living vicariously through blogs and Facebook friends. It seems like everyone is training for a fall marathon except me. I'm just getting back on my feet. After two weeks of run/walking I finally ran an entire 3 miles in a row yesterday. It was slow, but done. I just kept thinking, "You have to get this run over with you so can do your next run even better."

Which led me to getting out of bed and putting the shoes on. I knocked out four miles at noon. Four sweaty, slow, cumbersome miles. But again, these four had to get done so the next run can happen.

To me, Relentless means not giving up. It means that I'm always going to have the 'next race' or my eyes toward the 'next run' or even the dedication to keep going. Even when I was taking a month off to rest my body and recover from Ragnar (uuugh), I still knew I was going to put the shoes on again. For me, the desire to run and be a runner is Relentless. Unending. Continuing. It will never quit. The desire to run pushes through my life continually.

**What does Relentless mean to you?

(Thanks to Ali for inspiring this post with her Relentless Forward Progress reminder)

1 comment:

Ali K. said...

I love this. It's so true that sometimes in the middle of a rough run, I think, "Do this one, so the next is easier." I'm proud of you for getting back out there! A month off is what you needed! Welcome back :o)