Saturday, May 5, 2007

Open Mic Night


Last night, we went to Friday Night Open Mic Night at the Miles City Books & News in downtown Miles city. We'd heard about it on our first trip over there, and we'd wanted to check it out ever since. As the owner told us, "sometimes it's even good!" With such a ringing endorsement, we had to check it out.

The book store is outfitted with about half a dozen couches, and a few comfy chairs. There are also a few rows of theater seating in back. A makeshift stage is set up in the front, a few platforms with 4 par cans aimed at the center. The owner started it off with a some folk tunes, one he'd written himself about Jack Kerouac. Next up was the mayor of Miles City. He was pretty good, playing guitar softly, featuring mostly country tunes about Mexico in honor of Cinco de Mayo and a dark-skinned girl he knew in kindergarden. When he started playing Gallo del Cielo, tears sprung to my eyes, and Stephan put his arm around me. The rest of the night was just beautiful. The music was amazing, mellow, funny, charming, sweet, tender. It's been a really long time since I sat and listened to a man with a guitar charm a crowd. Several came up to play that night, and all of them touched my heart in one way or another.

I don't think I'd recognized how powerful live music can be. Last night, it helped me feel at home - and at peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, Anna.

If, every day, someone doesn't tell you that you are doing an outstanding job on your blog, then I need tell you that more often.

Thanks for all your efforts.
DAD

... said...

Thanks, Dad. I don't really know what to say. If anyone wants to know more about this story, you can email me.

Kristenanne said...

I am super greatful to know a large part of this story and even more than that, I am greatful for you and your families impact on my life. The woman that I met 6 years ago is not the woman I know today. You are one of the most open women I know. Thank you for sharing your life with me and others. I love learning and growing with you. I hope Montana and this part of your journey continue to bless your life. I pray our paths actually cross sooner than later.
May your uncle's memory always be preserved in music. I love you!