Saturday, May 26, 2007

Workin for my beer

So, I just finished lawning the mow with our new household appliance. We special-ordered the push mower because we truly are fat hippies. I must admit, although it only took an hour, I did feel like a stud. It also gave me an hour of uninterrupted thinking time. Here's what I realized:

There's a whole new type of feminist out here.

I once got mad when I realized that the stereotype of women staying in the kitchen while the men go play outside is still around. Now that I'm here I've met so many women who do stay in the kitchen, but when the kitchen is clean, they go out to help with the calves. They make breakfast, pack lunches for everyone, raise kids, go to work in town, come home and make dinner, then go out and help with the ranch. I have a friend who went to school for her PhD from 9pm -1am while she worked and raised her children. When it's calving season, they go help with the calves in the middle of the night- then go to work in the morning.

Knowing all this, the kitchen seems almost relaxing.

Please don't misunderstand me. I grew up with amazing female role models. Every day I am in awe of how much my mom did in a day, and I have a grandma who can shoot a gun like nobody's business. Out here it's a different world. And today, while the 'warrior princess' was moving the lawn, she gained a new respect for the kitchen.

I also learned that if you run over dog poop in a push-mower, the poop sprays all over your legs.

No comments: