Thursday, February 14, 2008

What Do You Mean the "Road was Closed"?

I mean that Tuesday night was very warm, over 40F. Then, in the early hours of Wednesday, about 2" of water froze solid onto the roads. We started the car and left the driveway at 5:15am. Immediately, the tires slid out from under us, and Stephan grabbed the wheel a little tighter. Turns were impossible. Accelerating was impossible. Stopping was cause enough for a minor TIA. Climbing hills produced a feeling in my bowels that I'd never felt before.

So, at 6:10am we arrived at the hospital, and I was not too excited to get back in the car and drive myself home through all that ice. Luckily, we left the girls at home, so they were happy and warm. Wearing my pink flannel pajamas, no bra, not having brushed my teeth, I fell asleep on the couch in the ER waiting room. 2 hours later I woke up, and headed out the door, assuming that the addition of sunlight would be enough to make the roads passable.

Instead, the roads out of town were barricaded. Thou Shalt Not pass, not North, South, East, or West. There are three levels of road conditions: go for it, emergency only, and Thou Shalt Not. If you Pass while Thou Shalt Not- thou wilst be put in jail. It wasn't until 11am that the road West (to Plevna and home) was declared Go for it.

So I went, and now you know.

No comments: