Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stop Running

What?!

Yeah, I know. That's insane. Crazy. Who on Earth would ever Stop Running?

Uh, me, I guess.

What's the deal? A doctor (man, these doctors) looked at me and explained that the circulation/blood/heat issues I'm having aren't going away and we've changed everything else except the running. So now it's time to change the running. She says that I need to walk every day for 30 minutes. I'm supposed to resist the urge to break into a run, and not take any days off. Less of a 'streak' and more of a 'smear'.

This means that the 1/2 marathon I've signed up for (and raised $800+ for the American Cancer Society for) is off the books this year. I'm still going to the event, still suiting up and possibly wearing the bib around, but I'm not running it.
Have you seen the shirt that says:

FDL (finished dead last)
is better than
DNF (did not finish)
is better than
DNS (did not start)

I'm not starting this one. And it sucks. It sucks just typing these words and making it official. Plus, this is stressful. And how do we handle stress? Apparently, with a 2 mile, 30 minute walk.

3 comments:

Ali K. said...

Ah, I'm sorry! I hate when the only solution to whatever's going on seems to be to stop running. And runners are the worst patients; we never want to give up running for whatever else. Have you tried running in AC? I hope things clear up asap!

Annie Crow said...

Ooo... I'm sorry.

On the one hand I hope your doctor is right and this resolves the issue... on the other I hope he is wrong so that you can start running again.

Good luck!

... said...

Ali- the weird thing is that when I run I start to shiver and get goosebumps. When my body should be sweating and raising its temperature, it cools down instead. It's bad when it's hot outside, but worse when the temperature is cooler.

I guess we'll know if it's working in a few weeks/months. Sigh.