Sunday, March 4, 2007

One Step Off


I want everyone to know that I was raised with a very healthy respect for contact paper. Contact paper is a woman's version of peeing on a house to claim it for her own. It stays in the cabinet, usually for years. It gets layers upon layers of other contact paper on top of it. At the end, the layers of contact paper are like the rings of a tree- you can tell much about what the kitchen has been through when studying the contact paper.

A few layers later, including the one I've featured today, I found that the kitchen cabinets are probably the original ones that the house was built with. In a few places, under the contact paper is just a few 1"x6" boards nailed together.

The last time I had to unload my stuff into a kitchen my mom and Travis were there to help. They put everything where it was supposed to go. I missed that this time. I kept changing my mind about where I wanted dishes and food. It may still change a few times before I'm done, but I really miss the time when I came home and my kitchen was just set up perfectly for me. I have a few more cabinets and drawers to clean out- but all in all I have a lot more space now than in Arlington Heights.

Stephan worked all day again today- and is on the schedule for Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week too. It's possible he and Matt might get motivated to move major furniture at night this week, but I doubt it. There's plaster repair in the bedroom and then painting in the bathroom and bedroom before we can move in. That's about it from out here.

Happy birthday Beth Anne and Sam! Stephan forgot to call you last night, but I'm sure he'll call tonight (I'll make him!)

No comments: