Saturday, December 22, 2007

Which one are you?

There are two types of people in the world... here's the story.

My laptop is now a very flat doorstop. It won't start up. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with tech-support ("Ok, now press the Z Q 9 keys while starting up. No? Ok. With your right hand hold down the apple-shift-P and R while starting up the computer with your left hand") to no avail. What was on the lap top? All my photos, financial information, logos and brochures for the business, things I've written, LOTS of music, etc. etc. etc.

Now, either you're saying to yourself, "Oh, that sucks. Sorry!"

Or, "OH NO! ARE YOU OKAY? DO you need to talk to someone? How are you holding up? Is there anything I can do? Have you tried holding down the eject key and starting up? What about the CD? Does it boot from the CD?"

I appreciate the former. I recognize my universal family in the latter.

So- posting will be really light for a while. Sorry! Enjoy the holiday with your family.

Come to think of it, why are you at the computer at all?? Go. Hug a child. Drink cocoa.

Unless you're Melanie... Melanie, get back to work or your brother is going to fire you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! You poor thing! I’m in the same predicament. My PC crashed about 2 weeks ago and nothing I did was able to resolve it without losing all my stuff. Geek Squad couldn’t help, so now I’m shipping it to some computer wiz in Alaska who is an acquaintance of an acquaintance (am I too trusting?) who says he can recover everything.

Haven’t e-mailed Stephan yet because of this.

Must go do that now while I’m at work and have access.

(Remember the days when people used to record music off of the radio and onto the built in tape deck in the stereo? Not as good sound quality, but at least you had less of a chance of losing it all. That was our version of iTunes without having to pay for it.) : )

- Sue

... said...

Remember it?! Sue, we have a huge box of mix tapes that Stephan has saved since about 6th grade. I have no idea what we're going to do with them, but we sure aren't throwing them away!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I thought I was bad. My tapes only go back to about 1991... : )

Hope you guys feel better soon.

Sue