Friday, January 29, 2010

"Everyone Gets an IV"


Me: People want to know how your new job is going. What do you want to tell them?

Him: Um... thankfully most of the nursing is the same except for learning the different protocols and different gagets.

Me: What about the computers?

Him: No, the computers are easy.

Me: What about the "trauma" aspect?

Him: The trauma section is seperate from our ER area. It's basically like working the Baker ER, except with 3-4 beds at a time and a neverending supply of patients. Plus, this is the slow season for trauma anyway. I'll have to get back to you in July.

Me: What about your new coworkers?

Him: Everyone is very helpful. They do a lot in terms of teamwork which is nice because you need it. They tend to jump on new patients as they come in, get their vitals, etc. and let you get to work. But sometimes everyone is busy, so when you really, really need help there's less of it.

Me: Are they friendly? Or fun? Or just working?

Him: No, everyone is just working. If anyone has time they almost always ask around if there's anything to do to be useful. If I even look like I have a question people will ask if I need help. Nurses in other units, apparently, can be jerks, but the ones in our unit tend to be nice.

Me: Why is it called a Unit, not a Floor?

Him: I think floor nursing has always been considered for patients who stay overnight. The Units are just diagnostics and temporary places.

Me: So no socializing?

Him: Almost everyone is either working toward their masters or their NP, we got to socialize a little last night. It's not uncommon for people to be discussing research, publications, or working on policies.

Me: So no pumpkin decorating?

Him: There doesn't seem to be much of that, no. Apparently we've run out of our allotment for coffee, so now employees have to take turns bringing coffee and creamer and stuff.

Me: Was it overwhelming to start?

Him: It can still be completely overwhelming at any point. The more I'm learning the more answers I have. As I learn the protocols I'll get faster. Right now I'm just too slow.

Me: What do you miss most about Fallon Medical Complex?

Him: The people... everybody. Kodie, Dusty... all the friends I got to see everyday. It's not like I can go hunting with any of their husbands or anything.

Me: What's the most memorable thing that's happened at Loyola so far?

Him: There was a pretty rough incident this week involving a .357 magnum [I'm totally editing the details since it was FAR too gross for me to listen to].

Me: Are you excited to start working 7pm-7am this week?

Him: [LONG pause]

Me: Is "excited" the wrong word?

Him: It'll have it's good and bad sides I guess. We won't be needing babysitters... on the average I think there's a little more down-time at night. I was told it tends to fade out between 1-4am or 2-5am.

Me: So you'll be sitting on your butt?

Him: [eye roll] But all the truly weird [stuff] happens then. The bars let out at 2am, the MVA's happen and 2:30, and the shootings and crap happen after that.

Me: Anything else you think would be interesting for people to know about your job?

Him: I'm learning a ton, and, you know, that's the idea. Everyone gets an IV.

No comments: