Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"What did you think was going to happen?"

-or-

Why I'm still running.

-or-

Overheard: In the Doctor's Office




Dr: So what brings you in today?

Me: Well I'm training for a marathon... and this week I'm having really bad pain down my legs, low back pain, my heart is palpating a lot, and I'm really tired all the time.

...
25 minutes later
...

Dr: So you're training for a marathon?

Me: Yep.

Dr. Well, what did you think was going to happen? Your body hurts, your heart is working harder, and you're burning a ton of calories. Your labs look great, your heart is perfect. Go home. Good luck in April.



Later that day I ran 5 miles. The next day I ran 6.2. And through both of them I just kept thinking, "I don't want to do this anymore." I've run 14 miles. In a row. I can run. I'm a runner. Why do I need to push and finish the whole 26?? Why hurt my body like this? Why? Why? Why?

After a few days thinking about it, I talked to Stephan about it. He turned to look at me and pretty much told me I don't have an option. I dragged him into this- he's stuck with it- he didn't give up last week- so I don't get to give up this week.

We have 3 more weeks of hard-core training. That's 8 more tough runs. 16, 18, 20 are my last long runs. So... now I'm in this for Stephan. He won't let me quit. Which is what I needed right now.

No comments: