Wednesday, October 30, 2013

12 Minutes of Inspiration

You don't know this guy (unless you're Ali or Annie), but he's kind of a big deal. Ted Spiker is a writer for Runner's World Magazine, and a self-titled "big guy". Over a year ago he started a Facebook group for runners who wanted to finish a 5k (3.1 miles) in less than 30 minutes. It might sound like an "eh" goal, but the pace required to do that is just barely faster than a lot of "normal" people run. I managed to finish my sub-30 5k last fall, and cried when I crossed the finish line.

But... this normal, big-guy runner decided to challenge himself in a giantly huge, enourmously big way this year. He trained for an Ironman. And now he's going to swim, bike, run it in Florida on November 2nd. Ted isn't a crazy fitness enthusiast. He's a professor. He's a normal person... who decided to break down his own walls and do something amazing.

And the Facebook group he started put together a video for him that made me cry SO HARD (not just because I'm stalking the internet at 10:30pm and drinking wine at the same time.)

Watch this video. Be inspired.

Sequence 14 from Tim Sorel on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Ali K. said...

I'm in there! Can you spot my awkward cameo? lol

... said...

Ali, I totally did!!! It was part of the reason I posted it here too. How/When did you guys do this? So cool!!!!