Monday, July 26, 2010

Words of Wisdom


A few weeks ago we were in Missouri hanging out with my family from Oklahoma. My grandma and aunts told me a little about Dr. Spock (NOT of Star Trek fame) who apparently wrote many books and columns about child-raising. His website claims he's one of the world's top pediatricians. My grandma told me he had no children of his own (which I just found out isn't true). My grandma also told me to not listen to the advice of anyone who has not actually raised their own children.

A few days later I gathered up my courage and prepared to take notes: I asked her, since Dr. Spock's instructions were of questionable repute... what was her advice (she raised 9 children on the salary of a high school math teacher)? Her reply? Her sage wisdom? The honey that dripped from her decades of experience?

Grandma: Well, that baby looks pretty happy, so whatever you're doing, just keep doing it.


Huh.

No comments: