Monday, April 9, 2012

Re: Define

A pamphlet titled:

So... you've decided to make a life-change?

There's a theme among my friends and family lately. I'm hearing a lot of, "Enough is enough. I'm really going to do this." Whether it's starting a business, setting new physical goals, or changing a lifestyle habit. People are making big changes. I know a little bit about this subject. But I'm way too understated to actually give people advice.

No, no, I'll just blog about it!!

Step 1- What do you want?

Step 2- Be specific. What will life look like when you get what you want?

Step 3- Write it down. I post my innermost goals to a blog, but you can grab a receipt in your wallet, or an envelope on the table next to you, and jot down your goal. Put pen to paper.

Step 4- Why don't you like what's going on today? Answering this question isn't important today. But in 2 months when things get HARD you will need remind yourself what disappointed you about today that forced you to make a change.

Step 5- Put a plan together. Just wanting something won't get you very far. As the Middle Easterners say, "Trust in God, but tie your camel to a tree." Get some rope. Wrangle your dream to your tree. You need a map. The internet is GREAT for maps! I found my marathon training program online. And my recipe index. And my house-cleaning help. And my financial strategies.

Step 6- What was your first accomplishment toward your goal? A new client? 10lbs lost? 30 minutes on a treadmill? Write this somewhere. It's proof that you CAN do it. You did it once. You can do it again. This is your proof. Even if you don't do it tomorrow, you did it once. Relish that.

Step 7- If you've gotten this far, you're all set. Step, step, repeat. Follow your plan. If you let yourself down one day, go back to step 1. Start over. Or just pick up where you left off. If you're here, you've already changed your life, so, as we say in our house, "Shut up and put your shoes on."

No comments: