Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk?

I grew up on late 80's television. The Cosby Show, Who's the Boss?, Family Ties, etc. There were also after school specials and AIDS. But before AIDS really took hold of the media, dyslexia was a very popular topic on TV. It seemed like every network found a way to maneuver an episode about finding empathy for people who are different and have a harder time doing things we all take for granted... specifically with dyslexia as the focus.

According to a Google search, either a full 20%, or a more modest 10-15%, of Americans are affected by dyslexia. What I learned from watching television is that a dyslexic person sees printing on a page and their eyes make the letters or numbers jumble around so they have a harder time making sense of them.

Here's what I think today: I think mental illness is to emotions what dyslexia is to reading. A normal person looks at a calendar and sees this:

Granted, usually with a lot more stuff filled in.

With mental illness, a person looks at a calendar and sees this:



You can substitute whatever daily activity you want to.

Grocery shopping:


Can feel like:
I love the cow in this picture. It makes the same amount of sense to me as shopping.

Socializing:
These people are fake.
Can feel like:
I don't know what this is, but it's exactly as confused and terrifying as meeting strangers in a social setting can feel for me. 


See? It works.

Also, the answer, according to Carrol:
"Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is nevar (sic) put with the wrong end in front!"

2 comments:

Ali K. said...

I always thought there was no answer to that riddle! I wear a pin with it on my school lanyard :o) The kids never get it!

I love these comparisons, by the way. Especially the depiction of social anxiety. So, so accurate

... said...

This entire post makes me laugh to myself. Each of the pictures makes me very happy.

In the interview that I quoted, Carrol said that there was no answer, but if an answer HAD to be given, he would make one up.