Monday, July 9, 2007

Worlds Collide

This morning on my drive back home from dropping Stephan off at work I was listening to the radio station. I don't know the name of the guy who DJ's before 6am, but I usually he just plays music and doesn't talk much. Today he interrupted the music with a news story. I was expecting some important information about the price of winter wheat or calf creep, but no.

He was reporting on this story. To summarize, "E3" is the Electronic Entertainment Expo. It is the annual convention for video game companies: the designers, promoters, and fan-atics. Every year it takes over the hearts and minds of geeks everywhere. It also takes over the entertainment production industry. It's the loudest, flashiest, most crowded convention I'd ever been to. It's like putting the entire city of Tokyo, all the people, lights, music, signs, billboards, and chaos, into the LA Convention Center and pressing Play.

It's a show I used to be intimately involved with on a yearly basis. It's an event that has kept many of my closest friends busy for the month of May, every year, for years.

Driving past the hills sparkling with dew, where the cows and calves were just waking up to the first rays of sun, a light mist still dawdling out over the streams, I listened to this news with interested detachment. The memory of beautiful chaos seeming almost impossible in this new setting.

No comments: