Friday, January 18, 2008

Montana Weather Tip #6

When your neighbor comes over and politely asks if you really plan to park the car outside tonight, it's time to get a block heater.

I had to look this one up. Apparently, in 1946, a man from North Dakota (NoDak) named Andrew Freeman invented a device that keeps the engine block of a car from freezing when the temperatures get too cold. The plug feeds through the front grill, and is attached to regular AC power. It will keep the battery and oil from freezing.

Sometimes, when people learn that we moved here from Chicago they say, "oh, then you're used to the cold." It doesn't get that cold in Chicago people. Not, plug-your-car-in-for-the-night cold. Not, the-oil-in-your-vehicle-could-freeze-tonight cold. Not, honey-could-you-help-me-with-this-fishing-hut-but-first-put-on-three-more-pairs-of-pants cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been pretty cold here lately too, but I am holding off on investing in a block heater. My car wasn't too happy when I turned it on this morning though. Why don't I get Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday off?