Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lookin' Good!

But WAY more intense.

It's fall. I don't do well in the fall. It's also been raining for the last 5 days. I was in an understandably bad mood while I was driving to work yesterday. Also, I was listening to a mix tape in Stephan's truck that sounded like a depressed, angry, gay Mexican cowgirl made it. At a stoplight I looked over and saw a large-ish young-ish man grooving out to music. Seriously grooving. He was working it like he MEANT it! He was pumping the break, causing the entire car to shake.

It was hilarious. So I busted out laughing. He looked over and smiled. I had to admit to myself, it was a pretty cool moment. He drove next to me for a few miles, just being himself, grooving. I finally took a deep breath, made eye-contact and mouthed, "Thank you!"

At the next stop light he rolled down his window and yelled, "Have a really good day!!!" and then I turned into the parking lot and went to work. But even work was a bummer that day. 5 hours later I was relieved to be walking out the door, and what did I see? Two white roses on the hood of the truck. With a note handwritten in a ziplock baggie (raining, remember?). The note had his phone number, and a short few sentences making it clear that this was just an invitation if I was looking for a friend, nothing weird. And if I wasn't, then just to enjoy the flowers, and smile.

Well, geeze. Halfway between most-awesome-thing-ever and wtf-creepy I drove away. This morning I wanted Trevor to know just how awesome I think it is that people go out of their way for other people. Looking Good Lady didn't have to cup her hands around her mouth and yell. But she did. And it's one of the things that keeps my feet pounding one in front of the other when I just don't feel like I can keep going.

On my run this morning I started thinking of all the things I would tell Trevor (who is 20 years old, yeah me!) about what the next 10-12 years of his life might be like. I want to tell him to keep dancing in the car. Keep putting yourself out there. Never be embarrassed to go for it- to take risks- to, literally, dance like no one is watching... because maybe someone IS watching, and maybe it's going to be a pivotal moment in their day... or week... or life.

I ran a short 2 miles today and sang out loud to every song I heard. Because it felt good. Because I wanted to. And because maybe the old man and woman who sit in their garage every afternoon smiled when they heard me belting out "She's a Hottie" as I ran past.

No comments: