Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The 1,000 Things

"The first person you have to inspire every day is yourself" Marc Parent, the "newbie" writer at Runner's World Magazine.

I love it. I think I'd forgotten it. I got too wrapped up in raising money, telling my cancer story, being a good roll model and a cheerleader for people in my life. I forgot that running is about me.

The other day I went for one of those runs that starts out with 1,000 things on my mind. I had so much to think about I was dizzy. But I started putting one foot in front of the other. It was a beautiful day. As I ran I thought about each thing, then imagined putting it on the curb and leaving it behind. By the time I got to the turnaround I felt amazing. As I came back home I started thinking about the 1,000 things again, but this time, as if they were just things on the road that were interesting, not as if they were things that needed to bother me. Seen objectively, the 1,000 things are just things.

And to think, I used to pay a lady $150 an hour once a week. Geeze. Do you know how many pairs of shoes I could have bought with that money???

No comments: