Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I'm Hot -- You're Hot -- He's Hot -- She's Hot!!

I started typing the title to this post and I ended up in 1987 for about an hour. I've never seen such a white man before.  And so much skin tight satin.

I digress.

I ran at 10:30am yesterday while the temperature was about 85 degrees. The run was scheduled as a 6 mile. I added a little degree of difficulty by printing out a handful of DetermiNation fliers and carrying them with me to hand out to people I passed as I ran (I gave out 10 of them!). After the first 3 miles I stopped for water and felt pretty good. I decided to just run out and back 0.5 miles so I could keep drinking water.

That plan? Fail. I barely made it back after attempting a mile. I had myself propped up on a street sign for a while, waiting for someone to call 911 because I was SURE I looked terrible. That didn't happen. I came home and drank water and laid on the floor.

And then the waves of disappointment hit. How am I going to finish a 1/2 marathon in the middle of July if I can't even get past 4 miles? I posted this question online and here are some of the answers. I'm saving them here because I know I'll need them later- and maybe you can use a little comforting today too!

Of course you could do it..I mean its great to Push ourselves but sometimes we have to know when to stop. Dont be disappointed because you atleast you went out and ran. And 4 miles is a accomplishment...Next time choose a time when its not so hot. But you did great. Im proud of you. Keep the good work out. And you will be ready for the Half Marathon if you want it bad it enough.

You absolutely can do it. We all have bad days - they're just part of the equation. You'll get back on track (sorry, no pun intended!) and be just fine on race day.

Of course you can, this is just one day in your training program. Just start looking into alternative times you can run when the temperture is a bit more reasonable. I like to run at night when it's cooled down. I also hear doing a few runs in the warmer weather can help you get use to it.

It takes 2 weeks for your body to adapt to running in the heat. So don't beat yourself up. 4 miles is great and as your body adapts you'll be able to do more. Also better to not overheat and look forward to another day of progress. Listen to your body and run smart. Start a positive self dialog in your mind. I agree with breaking up the runs into 2 smaller ones as you adapt too.

YOU sure CAN!!!!! Mind over matter! get those negatives out of your head they will hurt you!!!! YOUR a strong woman!!!! YOU got this!!!!! when you begin to struggle come up with a Montra!!! Mine is I can do this! And I love this I love this I LOVE THIS!!!! Half the battle is committing to doing the race ur more than half way there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strong mind, strong legs, strong heart, strong woman, strong runner.


I like the last one the best. It's significantly cooler today, but I don't have time for a run. My long run this week is tomorrow (8 miles). That's about when I had to bail on the 10 mile race and start walking. It's so weird how much harder things are in the heat and humidity. I never expected running in the summer to be such a different beast than in the winter.

No comments: