Monday, April 1, 2013

Chicken Run



This is a chicken. It's a chicken clawing to get back inside a fence. To the right of the image is a sidewalk and a 4 lane street. If you don't know where I live, I'll tell you: I don't live in the country. In Montana, I would not have stopped to take a photo. In the suburbs? I came to a halt in the middle of this morning's run and grabbed my phone.

I took the photo, then walked around the fence to the house and knocked on the door. A woman started screaming in Spanish. Then I rang the bell. A man opened a basement window and asked if he could help me.

"[gasping for air] There is a chicken."

"Yes?"

"Um, [gasp] out here. [gasp] There is a chicken."

"Yes."

"It's by the street."

"OH!!"

An elderly man rushed out of the house with a broom and proceded to corral the chicken against the fence, grab its feet, and toss it back over the fence. He looked at me and said, "Sometimes they jump over."

So I put my earbuds back in and kept going.

2 comments:

Ali K. said...

Oh my gosh!! Nothing so funny has ever happened on my run before! I think it's awesome that chickens can jump!

I did once see a baby cow that had escaped from its fenced pasture and was merrily grazing along the roadside, completely oblivious to his freedom.

... said...

Baby cow? Poor thing!! They're a PAIN to get back to where they belong. I so confused about the chicken I almost called 911!!