Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Out: Run

Remember when I posted this Pirates of the Caribean quote:

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?"
~Capt. Jack Sparrow

It's been the most viewed post for a while now- I think it's because of the image I stole from the internets. Anyway, this morning's run reminded me how so many things are a product of Attitude.

I've written before about 'running mad' as in "Don't Run Angry" because starting a run angry means starting out too emotional, too fast, and with improper form. I tire out too quickly, and end up burning up my lungs or just generally out pacing my own pace.

But there is definitely something about putting on the shoes when you're in a bad mood. Something about taking the thing that you're really disappointed about right now, putting it in front of your mind, and pounding through every inch of it, with every stride and every breath.

It's like what a painter does when they try to paint a subject. They set up their easel, paints, pencils, and set out the object. Then they study it intensely from every angle. They become absorbed in it. They look at exactly how the light strikes the surface, the undertones of color, and the highlights around the geometry. And after hours, or days, or years, they've captured the image.

I'm not a painter, but I assume that once the image is faithfully reproduced the painter usually goes on to leave that one image alone, and moves on to another subject.

That's what today's run was all about. Four miles of right left right left in out in out how could you why not why aw screw it move on get over it. And 42 minutes later nothing had changed. The situation was exactly the same. But I was at peace with it.

Namaste.






2 comments:

Ali K. said...

I would add "don't run sad." When my dog was put down this past winter, the run I tried to do a few days later was just terrible. I was still too emotional to do a proper run.

It's funny, because there's a gray area. Running emotional can be emotionally healing, but not if you're TOO emotional going in. I'm glad your run today was just what you needed.

PS, I added a page to my blog that lists blogs I read consistently, and I featured you on there. I seriously love your posts.

... said...

Ali,
Thank you SO much for your kind words! I actually teared up reading the line about redefinition and strength. I am so honored. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Anna