Sunday, August 19, 2007

Careful what you wish for...


There's a sound out there this morning I haven't heard since we moved here 6 months ago. I'm learning how the wail of a siren can actually pierce the human body when someone you love is on one of the fire trucks speeding out of town. Funny that the dogs woke up just 2 minutes before the alarm sounded on the radio. Funny that just last night at the Party on the Square, Stephan met two kids he was in the Fire Fighter One class with. They were talking about how few fires have happened in the Plevna Fire District.

I couldn't hear exactly what was going on- all I heard was smoke in some pine trees. It's the "tree" part that scares me. People have been telling me about how fire jumps between trees. How unpredictable tree fires can be. Kristen, I'm sure you can tell me more.

I know everything's going to be just fine. He'll be back in a few hours, stinking of smoke, and tired, but safe. Until then, I'll be pacing the house and listening for trucks returning.

******************
He's back! Home in one piece, wearing cute pants. As soon as I can, I'll 'interview' him about the fire this morning. He had to go wash the truck, and I want to go catch a few more photos!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try living with that feeling day in and day out for 6 years, married to a professional firefighter/EMT....it ages you. I look at least 5 years younger now than I did when my marriage broke up. And that was 5 years ago!

-Amanda

... said...

Amanda, I can't even imagine. This is why I'm tolerant of the "Volunteer" fire fighter. At least he didn't sign up with the Chicago Fire Department!!!!

Kristenanne said...

Wild land v. structure...HUGE Difference. Yes, fire can jump between trees. It is unpredictable and can jump roads meant to stop it. Just saw that happen last week. CRAZY! How is the fire situation down by you all? We have 3 major fires in our little Flathead Valley. Red Cross has offically declared us a State of Emergency although the president hasn't. It's fun and yet taken the beautiful summer sky and turned it into a huge mass of smoke and ash. My friend Jim said he had ash falling into his yard last week that was as big as 2" twigs. I am even getting paid to fight these days because we are such need of people on call around here. It's been the most fun and great learning experience I've had. I can't wait to swap stories with Stephan. Miss and love you so much.

... said...

People here are saying that they can tell the air is smoky from the fires in the West. Glad you're getting paid! Stay safe! Be sure to check the Flickr site for more fire truck photos.