Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Overheard: Like Smoking

Me: Man, look out there! It's beautiful!!

Friend: It's 33 degrees and snowing slush. 

Me: Yep. Perfect running weather. 

Friend: Um. No. Perfect sleeping weather. This is why I'm not a runner.

Me: Huh. I mean, I guess it's like smoking... the first few times it's really terrible and gross, and painful, but eventually you start to crave it and look forward to it. It feels like an addiction. 

Friend: Uh... ???

Me: Maybe it's an endorphin addiction? Or, like, your body gets used to the rush of...

Friend: [blank stare]

Me:... the rush of....

Friend: [blank stare]

Me: Yeah. So that's what running is about.


In other news, I took the advice of a few blog-friends and registered for a race. It's the Sub-30 Club virtual 5k. Mostly I love the t-shirt and the charity (Wounded Warrior). I'm not even sure I'll be able to run the sub-30 minute 5k that we're so proud of. I've only done it once, and that was after a ton of training. I'm probably looking at 34 minutes. But whatever. Right? 



1 comment:

Ali K. said...

Just one way being a runner makes one more optimistic hehe...and makes the world a beautiful place!

I'm signing up for this virtual race as soon as my paypal account starts working again haha