Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Chicken Idea...

... has flown the coop. I mentioned it earlier, but it bears saying again. We learned a few weeks ago that it is illegal to have livestock in town. We, being located one block away from the post office and Main Street, definitely live in town.

The 100 head of cattle that live in town? Those were grandfathered in.


Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions and condolances about how far away we live from Taco Bell. We really appreciate the concern. Feel free to send any spare Fire Sauce packets you have floating around your glove box.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really upset about the chicken coop and not being able to have chickens. By the way... you didn't call me last night. I know we have busy lives. I have wine club tonight so I will try calling you tomorrow. Bob says you have enough animals that you really didn't need chickens anyway. (Yes, I was too lazy to write an email so I wrote you in a comment.)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know cows had grandfathers...well I guess technicaly they must, but I didn't know they could be grandfathered. Oe something.

Do you think you could get away with very small cow suits for the chickens?

J.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the protocol for postimg a comment to another comment, but Melainie, are you sure you don't mean Whine Club? :-)

J.

... said...

I brought the cow-suit idea to Stephan, and he suggested little beards instead... you know... like Grandfathers....

Just imagining a yard full of chickens dressed like cows makes me laugh from my belly.

Anonymous said...

So, were the cows that were living at the time the ordinance was past, the only cows that can be "grandfathered" or are the progeny also included. If so, get some chickens and say they were offspring of the original chickens that used to live there and have been living as "wild chickens" for several years. Provide some of the old chicken poop and tell the town they will need to do some DNA testing to prove they aren't what you say.

Spending too much time with attorneys...DAD