Friday, April 13, 2007

Going 'Home'


After the 19 hour trip, we declared ourselves 'home'.

But I still had this feeling like I wanted to go home. I saw the house, the couch, the bed, my clothes... I saw the lack of traffic and our rockstar treatment and the kindness of everyone because there are no strangers here. I told Stephan I wasn't entirely happy with being back in Montana.

"Is this the first time you've ever been homesick?"

"No. I mean, I'm not homesick. I don't really miss Chicago. It's loud, crowded, busy, dirty, frustrating..."

"Go to bed. We'll talk about it later."

The feeling was gone the next morning. It was a restless feeling- I wasn't happy in Montana because everything is so different. The pace is different. The store hours are different. There's nowhere for me to buy a telephone-jack splitter here. My family isn't here.

I've known Stephan for 3 years (last week) and I've often heard him talk about a restless feeling. Living in the city makes him antsy, but living in the middle of nowhere rips open his heart. Now that I've signed up for this crazy adventure, I can finally relate to the restlessness. I have mixed feelings about sharing this with him...

But "we're better off for all that we let in."

No comments: