Friday, June 22, 2007

FAQ: How was the wedding?

A lot of people who weren't able to make it out to visit with us have been asking how things went. They went really well! The ceremony was beautiful. Our good friend RJ took pictures at the hotel where my family was getting dressed, and at the ceremony. Dad's suit was provided by Men's Warehouse since he grabbed only the jacket (no pants) when he left the house and didn't want to risk the 6 hour traffic delay and miss the ceremony. It was Jimmy's idea to try that store, and everything worked out really well. Look for Dad featured in their next advertising campaign soon.

The ceremony was simple. Dad walked me down the aisle. Stephan's good friend Wayne was the officiant and did a wonderful job making us laugh, and cry. Uncle John played The Wedding Song on the guitar. Our vows were simple, but very true to what we believe. I vowed to tell Stephan when something's bothering me, and to let him help me when I need help. He vowed to always love me, and make me proud of him every day.

Stephan's sister Beth Anne read a poem we love, The Invitation, and tried not to cry. Gary Jr. was our videographer. We gave both sets of parents flowers and thanked them for their love and patience in raising us. That's when I started crying. Wayne had some good advice for us, something about washing dishes (I promise to go back and watch the video so I can remember everything he said), and, luckily, there was a Bible behind the podium he could use to reference a few touching verses.

After we were "man and wife", a string version of Baba O'Reilly played, and we walked out of the church, into married life! That immediately meant family portraits. I've seen 200 head of cattle herded with less effort. The dinner at Greco's of Willow Springs was amazing. Carmalee was fantastic, and, as always, the food was abundant and delicious. Our cake was by Artsy Edibles (anyone have a website for her?) and was, to all who tasted it, the most amazing coconut/chocolate/mini-chip/butter cream wedding cake ever.

Stephan's sisters provided a basket of goodies (including Starbuck's Double Shots and bottles of water) for the night we spent at the Embassy Suites. The next day was filled with preparations celebrating Mom & Pop's 50th wedding anniversary. A beautiful day, I think, for everyone who was there.

No comments: