Friday, June 1, 2007

Happy June 1st

Yesterday I was part of a discussion that started with, "I think we don't know how lucky we are to live here." I was eating lunch at the hospital with a table full of health care workers, and one of them spoke up about how unique and safe and beautiful our area is, and how uncommon that is in the U.S. today. It's true, I could walk down main street, or any street, while counting out a hundred dollars outloud, and people may walk up and talk to me about my life, but nothing bad would happen. If I needed to, I would feel perfectly safe walking around after dark here, or even sleeping outside on the sidewalk! Although, if I did try to sleep outside, no doubt many people would offer me a place to stay, a good meal, and some friendship.

I could walk up to the front or back door of any house here, knock and ask for anything (money, sugar, a power tool, keys to their vehicle, a babysitter, a tractor) and they'd be happy to help out.

Yesterday's discussion turned to the phenomenon of gated communities in urban areas, and how strange of a concept that is to folks who live in the country. Gates don't keep people out here. Gates keep livestock in. They asked me, does the gate really stop crime? Does it make the people who live inside better friends or neighbors? How much do people pay to live inside those gates?

It's still amazing how different life is here. Every day I'm grateful to be where I am. Most days I even appreciate the rooster next door that starts crowing at 5:30 in the morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a comment about gated communities, since my parents are part of one... Gated communties are like condos in the sense that they have monthly/yearly fee, which also means no shovelling or mowing your own lawn. If fact you don't even own the lawn. My dad liked that idea so that is the main reason why they moved there. A lot of the people are widowed women. With the gated community that they live in, the houses are really, really close together so you do know your neighbors and they try to watch out for each other. Not just for crime, but for health reasons as well. A gated community is just a bunch of people wanting to live in a small town without living in the country or having to deal with livestock. (I'm sure owning livestock is against the community rules. And yes, they do have a list of rules.)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you're happy there! I would be happier if you would be happier to move "home" eventually.
But I AM happy that you're happy!!!
xx

... said...

Thanks, Melanie! I'll pass that along. We'll be home soon, Mom. We're still waiting for your visit!