Sunday, September 9, 2007

35 minutes to Ohare

Subtitled: Homesick

The first few days (or weeks) after coming home are always the hardest. As Stephan said, "you don't feel that warm cocoon of love out here." It's true. It's like getting out of bed on a cold winter morning. You didn't really know how warm it was under the covers until you roll them back and the cool air hits your skin.

Two things hit me hard this week. One was listening to WBBM radio and hearing the traffic report. It's nice in some way to know what the expressways are doing. Is there congestion at the Hinsdale Oasis? What's the travel time to the Circle? Hearing the report put me 1/2 way home. Okay. It made me cry. I mean, traffic has often made me cry, just not from 1,400 miles away.

The second one is something my brother can relate to: a smell. Stephan and I once were purified by a Peruvian Healer using Sage Bark. The scent was wonderful, and did a lot to calm us both down. There was a little shop in Arlington Heights that sold herbs and oils, and Stephan gifted me with a baggie of Sage to burn in the apartment we lived in. In the cool autumn air, the burning sage kept us emotionally warm.

While he was in Great Falls, he found a bundle of sage and we lit it Saturday to fill the house with the familiar scent. Immediately I was brought back to the tiny expensive apartment with two little puppies and cats that peed on the floor. The small kitchen that didn't fit hardly anything so we stacked boxes and dishes on top of the fridge. Weekend drives down to Oak Lawn, or Tinley Park, or Chicago. Needing to shower after volunteering at the foot clinic. Ordering pizza and having it delivered... the old days.

No comments: