Friday, February 3, 2012

No, Seriously. Stop Running.

An ER visit Wednesday led to a 2-night stay for yours truly at Loyola. Thanks to the most amazing medical care I've ever received, or could ever imagine receiving, I'm finally home with a really interesting diagnosis:

Paradoxical Vocal-Chord Dysfunction

It mimics asthma in a lot of ways. So what I've experienced for the last 15 years as exercise induced asthma is actually my vocal chords closing whenever my heart rate gets too high. Plan of action? Stop running. Then start running slowly. Very slowly. Like, run a mile. Then wait a day, then run 1.5 miles. It's almost a 'couch to 5k' program.

Heck, maybe it'll be good to hit the reset button. It's the best feeling in the world to be laying my own bed right now, so that's what I'm going to focus on for a while.

No comments: