Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Baker: Day 17

I tried to find a funny graphic to talk about being homeless, but after searching through Google Image Search, discovered there's nothing funny about being homeless. And it reminded me how good we have it out here. I was going to write how hard it is to get things like driver's licenses and to cancel our old cell-phone accounts while we're still staying with generous friends, but, wow. How self-centered is that?

We've been hearing about the tragically cold temperatures back in Chicago, and we think often about our friends at the DePaul Nursing Services Clinic. Those men (and some women) are truly homeless. So many of them have amazing smiles, amazing stories, and amazing lives. Some have found shelters, some are working hard to get into a shelter, and some have miraculously figured out how to make life on the street work for them.

Us? We're not really homeless. We're staying in a warm, comfortable, very caring home of two very good, kind and generous friends. We are in a city full of warmth and friendliness, putting in an honest day's work (at least Stephan is) for a very generous wage. We are so lucky, and until I looked through the photos of homeless men, women, and families, I had forgotten that. I'm embarrassed about some of the whining I've done.

So, if you can, find some old coats, hats and blankets, and give them to your local shelter. If you can't find a shelter, let me know and I will put you in contact with our friends who need help.

Stephan says to stop preaching. Stay warm!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Downer...and it was Valentine's Day!

... said...

Yeah, sorry! The post I was GOING to write was really funny. But you try looking up photos of homeless people and still be chipper afterward. Not so easy.