Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Countdown to Plevna: 9 Days


Here is a photo I took from the car last week as we were driving out to Miles City. It gets a lot more interesting the further West you drive out of town. It's 40F today, the snow is melting, and things are much less dramatic on the horizon.

Stephan is working today, and I was trying to get things done (figure out how he can get his RN legal in Montana, how I can get a license in MT, more paperwork for the house, and I baked cookies). I HATE it when I mix up baking powder with baking soda. I think I used baking soda in the cookies because they all turned out flat and crispy. I shouldn't be allowed to use ovens.

I called the Montana School of Massage Therapy and asked if they knew what the process was to get an MT license here...

Man: Uh, like, a license?
Me: Yes. A license for a Massage Therapist.
Man: Are you nationally licensed?
Me: Yes, and I'm licensed in the State of Illinois. But I want to be licensed in Montana.
Man: Wow, that's a lot more than any of us have. Good job.
Me: So how do I get a Montana license?
Man: We don't license Massage Therapists in this state. You just- uh- go to school and then do it.
Me: ... Really?!
Man: Yeah.
Me: ... Oh. Well, thanks!

I feel two ways about this. 1. Check out the State of Montana Department of Professional Licensing and look down the list of professions they regulate. "Wrestling" is listed, as well as "Euthanasia Technician." I'm seriously not going to ask. But I am glad that I don't need to pay anyone any money, or fill out annoying paperwork.

2. I feel that strict LMT requirements are a good thing- it helps define the profession as something... um... professional. I'm a little worried about how well massage is respected in this state. I suppose I'll find out soon enough. The Physical Therapist and I spoke at length today and we agreed that it would be a good thing if I rented a room out at the hospital. Cool. There's some professionalism! We'll see how things turn out with that. I'm kinda excited to have my own place.

No comments: