Monday, February 5, 2007

Baker: Day 8


So you want to know how my first two days at work went?

My orientation will last roughly a month, and I will be working with Peggy. She has over 25 years of experience, is very nice, and can handle just about any medical situation. Between the medical/surgical patients and the ER I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the possibilities. I'm on call three nights a week, which means that I must be in Baker, and sober, in case anything major happens. If anyone is really bad I may have to ride in an ambulance with a doctor the 4 1/2 hours to Billings with the critically ill patient.

Next week we get to practice for a large scale chemical contamination emergency in which the entire hospital will practice its disaster response and I will learn to triage patients during a disaster.

Everyone has been really nice and helpful in getting me orientated, and I hope to report soon getting my head out of my butt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to Stephan getting his head out of his butt...and staying sober! I love and miss you both!

Lots of Love,
Melanie

... said...

Yeah, he wanted to put the head in the butt comment up, and I was a little confused. But it was late, he was tired, and I let him keep it in there.

Kristenanne said...

Triage is so cool. We did a multi casulity bus accident drill and it was intense to say the least. Have you talked to the fire department yet? I'm so excited to see you guys soon! Baker and beyond doesn't know what it's in for!