Tuesday, February 27, 2007

FAQ: Does Stephan have a sense of humor about being a male nurse?


Answer: no. He asked me to take down the Male Nurse photo. I figured I could leave it up if I made it more fair.

He got home this morning (Tuesday) at about 7:45 and went straight to bed. He slept until 3pm, when he ate, made a few phone calls about his student loans, and left for work. I stopped by just now to bring him 'lunch' and he asked if he could come home with me. He has about 6 hours left, but he said they haven't gotten a chance to sit down yet! It's a busy night. They had one ER patient when I was there, and with the snow coming down in blankets, they may have a few more before the night is over.

He was upbeat about it, though. I could see he was tired, but I also know that the excitement keeps him going. I would feel more sympathy if things were boring and he wanted to leave. Last night we talked a bit about a patient he has who may die soon. That will be something new for him. He seemed a little cautious about spending time with her, but it's his favorite part of the job. I know he sits with patients, talks to them whenever he can, and really takes time to make sure all their needs are being met. Beyond just temperature and physical comfort- he holds their hands. Kayle says he has a way with the older women. I don't doubt that. I think he has a way with everyone he meets.

Even though I miss him tonight, I know he's with people who need him. As important as he is to folks, I don't mind sharing at all.

Trivia: What is the ratio of cows to humans (or humans to cows) in the state of Montana?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess and say 5 to 1...5 cows to every person. I know you told me once, but I can't remember. This entry made me cry. I hope Stephan gets a chance to read it.

... said...

The answer is actually 3:1. There are three cows for every one human living in Montana. Good job, Melanie! And thanks for posting the comment- Stephan read this blog entry, and your post, and was very touched.

Melissa Watson said...

Oh come on Stephan! No Gaylord Focker the male nurse jokes?

I have nipples Focker, can you milk me???