Thursday, February 22, 2007

Don't Drink the Water


Seriously, we were cautioned when we arrived in Boliv... I mean, Baker, not to drink the tap water. I was a little offended, having drank well-water at my parents' house since I was 12. But when I tasted this water, is was just bad. It was salty. Even if you're boiling the water for tea or coffee, the salt taste is always there. Then we learned that there is also a high calcium component to this water, leading to increased incidence of kidney stones in the local population. Well, I've never had a kidney stone, but from what I hear, I don't think I want one now either.

The water here is also very soft. I can't tell if this is a location-specific fact, or a town-wide fact. But, even more than anywhere in the Chicagoland area, this water is very slippery and gooey. It took a few showers to get used to this feeling. And even now, my hair is just not the same.

This morning I borrowed a hair dryer in hopes of accomplishing some sort of style. But what happened was an odd sort of dread-lock effect due to the heat and the salt. It's "Bob Marley meets the Cowardly Lion." As I complained to Stephan of this today he looked at me straight in the eyes and said:

"It's all going to turn grey one day anyway..."

He saw my quickly saddening face and added:

"And I'll love you even more."

No comments: